Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Springer Nature is actively recruiting for an Editorial colleague to join the Astronomy Acquisitions team in our New York office. We are recruiting at both the Editor and Senior Editor levels, depending on experience and background. A Senior Editor may optionally be located in our office in London, UK.
The Editor/Senior Editor is responsible for growth of part of the company’s astronomy, astrophysics and space science portfolio via acquisition as well as development of existing assets consistent with the company's reputation as a leading academic publisher. The role involves extensive author and editor contact, journal management, book (and journal) proposal review including related administrational tasks, contract negotiation, editorial preparation of book manuscripts for production, promotional planning and monitoring of sales and budget planning. A Senior Editor will in addition focus on long-range planning for growth and development as well as widening of the scope of the program. Specific responsibilities include:
A. Editorial Acquisition
- Pursues an active and efficient acquisitions policy (books and journals) through correspondence, required meetings / trips, telephone, consultations with advisors, etc.
- Approximately 25-30% travel as well as strong initiative and independent functioning.
- Attends key astronomy and space science conferences for the purpose of acquisition. This also includes planning, setting up and staffing exhibits of relevant publications.
- Prepares and organises editorial and peer review of book proposals
- Prepares and executes publishing contracts.
- Maintains and develops a circle of reviewers and advisors and evaluates their judgments.
B. Project Development and Management
- Manages and develops a selection of astronomy and related journals.
- Supervises final editorial preparation of book manuscripts for production.
- Discusses, assumes and proposes financial and budgetary plans for program.
- Develops guidelines, plans, reporting systems, etc., for publishing plans and projects.
- Monitors staffing requirements and trains and develops staff.
- Performs related duties as required.
C. CONTACTS (nature and frequency of internal/external communications):
- Extensive in-house contacts with all departments, especially production, promotion and sales/marketing on a daily basis.Responsible for overall coordination of the publishing program.
- Primary contact for external scientific editors within the journal program
- Primary contact for authors throughout the publishing process.
- Extensive contact with external reviewers, advisors, potential authors and the general academic community.
D. Strategic Planning
- Assesses trends and funding in Astronomy and Space Sciences, evaluates strategies, strengths and weaknesses of competitors.
- Prepares long-term planning documents and strategic goals as requested.
- Maintains communication with US, European and Asian editorial counterparts about specific immediate questions as well as long-term strategy questions.
- Reviews and discusses new projects and plans with editorial colleagues particularly in overlapping areas.
A Senior Editor level candidate will also take on business development initiatives as well as people management responsibilities.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field required. Preference for degrees in the natural sciences (astronomy, space sciences, physics, astrobiology, geoscience, chemistry) or mathematics , advanced degree ideal.
- Experience as an acquisitions editor or related editorial / publishing experience highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills are required.
- Must be willing and able to travel.
- For a Senior Editor candidate, experience organically developing a list as well as people management experience required.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours.
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster: