The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for UW-Madison, is recruiting for a development professional to join the advancement team for the College of Letters & Science (L&S) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The Associate Director is primarily responsible for qualifying major gift prospects, soliciting leadership annual gifts for L&S and working with the Department of Sociology to support their development efforts.
The College of Letters & Science is the University’s core academic unit, with approximately 17,000 undergraduates, 4,000 graduate students, 950 faculty and 175,000 alumni. Its 39 departments encompass the arts and humanities, social sciences and physical sciences. In 2016, the College received approximately 11,000 gifts totaling nearly $50 million. More information about the College of Letters & Science is available at http://www.ls.wisc.edu.
*The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is the “doing business as” name of the merged organization comprising the University of Wisconsin Foundation (www.supportuw.org) and the Wisconsin Alumni Association (www.uwalumni.com), whose legal corporate name is registered as the University of Wisconsin Foundation.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Prospect identification and qualification of major gift prospects;
- Actively referring major gift prospects to L&S Directors of Development;
- Assisting with alumni engagement events in key geographic areas;
- Qualification, solicitation and stewardship of leadership annual gift donors and prospects;
- Working with WFAA research to coordinate strategies for prospects.
- Manage travel arrangements and calendar for self;
- Report/record/document development activity and results in ABE;
- Collaborate on writing of Memoranda of Agreement (MOAs) as necessary;
- Use a computer for communicating via e-mail, writing, researching prospects, completing reports, etc.
- Communicate effectively and meaningfully with individuals in diverse settings using a range of techniques including face to face, telephone, email and written correspondence;
- Build and maintain effective working relationships at all organizational levels - colleagues, dean, campus staff, donors, volunteers and others;
- Understand and access resources within WFAA to support the fund development process, e.g., research, planned giving, real estate, accounting, investments;
- Plan and prioritize work, using time and other resources effectively to maximize desired outcomes;
- Demonstrate strong initiative and attention to detail;
- Available for some evening and weekend work;
- Attend WFAA and L&S meetings for development staff;
- Travel by car, plane, cab, and foot (or with assistive device, e.g. wheelchair);
- Have a knowledge of and appreciation for UW-Madison and the College of Letters & Science mission, history and goals.
Support a service-oriented atmosphere in accordance with WFAA mission, values and philosophy
- The transforming impact of the UW Madison;
- The treatment of all with high ethical and behavioral standards including honesty, integrity, respect, courtesy, and dignity;
- The spirit, involvement, participation, engagement, and impact of alumni and friends with the UW-Madison and with each other;
- The joy of giving and the power of philanthropy;
- The interdependent nature of all aspects of the Parties’ collective relationships in fulfilling their missions; and
- The highest level of stewardship of the investment of donors’ philanthropy in support of the UW-Madison and the relationships and trust accrued through alumni development and engagement activities.
The Associate Director of Development reports to an Associate Vice President and Managing Director of the Foundation. This is a full-time position involving travel. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit program.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume in a single attachment to:
Please contact Human Resources if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is Friday, April 28.
Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer